Is there anything better this time of year than a really really good bowl of soup? As soon as I start seeing the pumpkins and mums in the grocery store, I want soup every day. Being pregnant only intensifies this- it was in the high 90’s and I was keeping busy making chili.
Recently, I picked up a whole pasture raised chicken from my favorite local farm and brined it for 20 hours, roasted it and then used the bones to make a nutrient rich, super flavorful bone broth. Of course, hot, delicious bone broth and a cold rainy day called for a delicious, slow simmered chicken noodle soup. I didn’t just want any, typical chicken noodle soup though, the baby thought that those tiny little meatballs commonly found in Italian Wedding Soup sounded amazing, and what baby wants, baby gets!
The recipe was really simple, for veggies, I used what we had in the fridge, the bone broth had so much flavor that I didn’t need to add a ton of seasonings and the noodles cook right there in the same pot. See? Simple.
I used ground chicken for this recipe, but if you’re just making this for adults, a spicy ground Italian Sausage would be incredible! Also, in the recipe, I’m going to tell you to use Panko breadcrumbs because I 100% intended on doing so because of the size and consistency of each “crumb” BUT I preggo brained it and forgot the panko at the store. So let me just tell you that should you be making this on a whim or the poor panko get left behind by you as well, that a few piece of whole wheat bread, toasted and run through a blender will perfectly suffice.
So without any further ado- the best darn chicken soup recipe I’ve had in a long time!
Hope y’all enjoy a much a we did!
- 10 or so cups of chicken broth/stock (amount will determine how much soup you will have)
- 3/4 lb Ditalini Pasta (or 3/4 box)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 cloves of peeled garlic, whole
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- broccoli florets, chopped (amount to your preference)
- baby spinach (to preference)
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Salt + Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Prep the meatballs- add all ingredients into a large bowl and mix until well combined (I use my hands!). Roll into tiny bite-sized meatballs and place onto parchment lined baking sheets. I got around 55 mini meatballs. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- To a large stockpot, add bone broth/chicken stock and all veggies except for the spinach. Bring to a boil, stir in tomato paste until fully dissolved and then add some salt and the noodles and boil for about ten minutes or until the pasta is al-dente. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add meatballs and spinach and stir well. Allow to simmer for about 5 more minutes, to allow all of the flavor from the meatballs to be added to your delicious broth.
- Serve in your favorite bowl, tip with shaved parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper flakes if thats your thing and E N J O Y