This post is sponsored by Pepperidge Farm, but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Summer has arrived here in TN, and she has come back with a vengeance. It has been HOT. The high temperatures (in the 90s!) are a huge factor when making plans for the day- and when planning dinner. This time of year, we typically gravitate towards salads and quick and easy dishes that can be prepared on the grille.
I am a huge fan of all things cooked over charcoal, but I always find myself longing for my favorite Italian pasta dishes. It has just been too hot for pasta, so I had to come up with a solution. I decided to swap out the noodles for a great bun, and lighten up the flavors to fit these blistering summer days!
Today, the recipe I’m sharing with you, is my Grilled Chicken Parmesan Sandwich! I know what you might be thinking… Chicken Parm? But that’s so heavy! Typically, yes, it totally is! I use a simple homemade sauce, lighten it up with lemon and fresh herbs (because, hello summer!) and put it between two totally delicious Pepperidge Farm® Hamburger Buns.
Every great sandwich requires a great base. These 100% whole wheat hamburger buns are a great choice for every occasion. There is no high fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors or colors in these delicious buns and with a brand as reputable as Pepperidge Farm® it’s an easy decision to make!
I also want to take a second to encourage you all to enter the Pepperidge Farm® Respect the Bun® promotion! Simply take a photo of your mouthwatering burger or hotdog between Pepperidge Farm® Hamburger or Hotdog Buns and share on social media using #RespectTheBunPromotion and tagging @pepperidgefarm! Weekly winners receive $1,000 and the big winner gets $10,000! Click [here] to learn more about how you can show how YOU Respect the Bun®!
This recipe would be delicious with a great burger recipe as well, but we had a great sale on chicken this week and decided to go with this! I thought my light and simple Orzo Pasta Salad Recipe would pair deliciously, so be sure to check that out!
Okay, let’s get down to it- the recipe!
- Chicken Breasts (I prefer cutlets!)
- 1 Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh, Chopped Basil
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- Fresh Mozzarella, Sliced
- Fresh Baby Spinach (optional)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Whole Lemon, Zest and Juice
- Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
- Pepperidge Farm® 100% Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
- First you need to prepare your marinade. Place the chicken in a container (such as a bowl, baking dish or plastic storage bag). Add olive oil, lemon zest & juice, 1 tbs fresh chopped basil, 1 tsp garlic powder and salt & pepper. Allow to chill in fridge for at least an hour.
- In your favorite pan (could be a saucepan or a good, deep frying pan) pour in the crushed tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and add 2 tbs basil and 1 tsp of garlic powder. Add salt & pepper and allow to simmer- the longer the better! I will also admit to adding 2 tablespoons of butter, shh!
- When its time for dinner, toss the chicken onto the grille. If using cutlets, they will cook up quickly! Cook chicken to 165 degrees Fahrenheit. When chicken is about done, add the fresh mozzarella cheese until it melts.
- Place chicken on grilled (optional) Pepperidge Farm® Hamburger Buns and add fresh baby spinach (optional) and top off with your quick sauce!
- Serve along side your favorite summer salad and enjoy!