As I sit here typing this I am chowing down on some delicious leftovers.
What is it about pasta dishes of all kinds that they ALWAYS taste amazing the second day?
I’m back on my grocery budgeting where I do one big shop per MONTH and spend no more than $150-200 for my family of four. Yes, you read that correctly, $150-200 MONTHLY to feed my family of four healthy, homemade (for the most part), meals three times per day. A Big part of how I do that is by making a menu for the month and STICKING TO IT! That blog post will be coming soon!
Anywho, my 22 week – 2 days pregnant self has been craving comfort food. I figured while making this months menu, why not add Sweedish Meatballs? Its been YEARS since I’ve had it and how lucky for me that the day I had marked on the calendar happened to be our one cold day this month? Perfect for a big, comforting bowl of meatballs and gravy covered egg noodles!
Normally, I would make my own homemade meatballs, but when I had done my budget for the month Kroger had frozen, Italian meatballs on sale for $3. Being the busy pregnant mom of two that I am, it was kiiiiiind of a no brainer, right? Exactly. So being that I had my frozen meatballs ready to go this recipe only took about 25 minutes from start to finish. Are you a busy working mom or dad, or a busy stay at home mom trying to get dinner on the table by the time hubby comes home? HELLO easy, quick and comforting weeknight dinner!
What you need:
- Frozen meatballs
- 3 Tablespoons of butter
- 3 Tablespoons of Flour
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1-2 Tablespoons of fresh chopped basil (optional we grow organic basil, so it goes in everything)
- 2 Cups Beef Broth (I use organic, low sodium)
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of Djon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon “Better Than Bouillon” Organic Beef Base (Regular beef bouillon works if that is what you have!)
- Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
- Package of egg noodles
- Take meatballs out of freezer and get them open and ready to go
- In a non-stick pan (my favorite is my Le Creuset, I am a strong believer it makes EVERYTHING taste better!) melt down the butter, cook down garlic for a few seconds, add the flour and whisk until it starts to brown a little bit
- Slowly whisk in the beef broth and heavy cream and let that come to a simmer, while occasionally whisking
- Whisk in the Worcestershire, djon and beef base
- Add fresh chopped basil and let come back to a simmer
- Reduce heat, add meatballs and cover for 20 minutes. Be sure to check that gravy isn’t boiling. This step is just to heat the meatballs through.
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook your favorite egg noodles according to the directions on the package
- Drain and briefly rinse the noodles and transfer to your favorite serving bowl and top with meatballs and gravy
And there you have it, so easy right?